On Monday, March 12, 2018 I presented “Using Technology in Teaching” to my fellow College of Business Administration (COBA) faculty members at the American University in the Emirates (AUE) as part of our “COBA Scientific Session” Series.
I presented three types of cloud-based tools useful for teaching in three categories: admin, document, and media with live demonstrations of selected tools, as follows:
View the Google Slides presentation I prepared and presented for this workshop at http://bit.ly/UsingTechnologyInTeachingSlides. You can also watch the video on my Facebook page or watch it on YouTube. Or you can watch the video below:
I have been profiled on the EdArabia.com website where I share my thoughts about books that inspire me, the process of writing, and, in answers to 12 questions, discuss details about my experience writing “edX E-Learning Course Development.” My book, which was published last May, walks a reader through eight steps to create an edX course while teaching them about tools and techniques to know as an edX instructor.
The eight chapters of the book and what they cover include:
- Getting Started: an overview of MOOCs and the history of edX.
- Planning the Curriculum: curriculum development and
- Producing Videos: video production best practices.
- Designing Exercises: options for exercises and assessments.
- Integrating the Curriculum:
- Administering Your Course: your course’s administrative options
- Facilitating Your Course: your role as a facilitator of your edX course.
- Promoting Your Course: a strategy to market your course.
Questions I answer include the following:
- Tell us a little about yourself/ your job? Perhaps something not many people know?
- Which books have most influenced your life?
- What/ Who inspired you to write edX E-Learning Course Development
- Which was your favorite chapter (or part) to write about and why?
- How would you describe your writing style like and how long did it take you to complete?
- What advice would you share with aspiring authors – on writing, publishing, marketing?
- How has your experience been as an author – highlights and lessons?
- What do you think about the ebook revolution?
- Tell us a little about your plans for the future. Are you working on another book?
- If you could write about any personality (fiction/nonfiction) who would you write about?
- What do you love most about the writing process?
- Who is your favorite author?
Guest speakers offer a wonderful way to bring textbooks to life and show your students how they can connect theory with reality. I’ve had many exceptional individuals share their insights and experiences with my students.
So I was thrilled when, on Saturday, November 14, 2015, Anthony Quartararo stopped by my MGT 100, Principles of Management class at American University in the Emirates (AUE).
Mr. Quartararo is the President and CEO of St. Petersburg, Florida based Spatial Networks, Inc. Spatial Networks is the developer behind Fulcrum, a mobile data collection platform that you can use to build, deploy, and collect data with customized iOS and Android apps.
He founded Spatial Networks in 2000 and has been involved in business activities in Central and South Asia, North Africa, Near East, Latin America and East Asia. In total, he has more than 20 years of experience in the geospatial industry. He holds a BA in Geography/GIS from Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania and spent 3 years working towards an MA in Geography/GIS from Portland State University.
His professional tenure includes positions managing multi-year international map production projects, analyzing business and competitive intelligence, managing human capital, collecting field data, procuring data, and both acquiring and visualizing human geography data.
During the 90 minutes he spent with my class Mr. Quartararo spoke about five main topics: 1.) Management Style and Issues, 2.) Integrity, 3.) Technology, 4.) Mediocrity, 5.) Human Resources/Career Paths. He also answered several questions from students.
Video clips of each segment follow; or you can watch a playlist of all five videos:
Empowerment and Failure
Integrity and Cultural Context
HR and Career Paths
For more information about Anthony, Spatial Networks, and Fulcrum please visit the links below:
• Anthony Quartararo LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/anthonyquartararo
• Anthony Quartararo Twitter: https://twitter.com/tonyquartararo
• Fulcrum Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumapp
• Fulcrum Twitter: https://twitter.com/fulcrumapp
• Fulcrum Website: http://www.fulcrumapp.com
• Fulcrum YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9XRb4VJpWTtFhPsyN5rWg
• Spatial Networks Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spatialnetworks
• Spatial Networks Twitter: https://twitter.com/spatialnetworks
• Spatial Networks Website: http://spatialnetworks.com/