Are you a connector — or looking to connect?
In his 2000 book “The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference,” author Malcolm Gladwell argues that ideas, products, messages, and behaviors “spread just like viruses do.”
He then explains how “word-of-mouth epidemics” and trends are triggered through “The Law of the Few” by three pivotal personality types:
- Connectors: people who know large numbers of people across a wide array of social cicles who enjoy making introductions between individuals in those different circles; a connector is the social equivalent of a computer network hub.
- Mavens: a subject matter expert expert who connects us with new information; they gather knowledge and understand how to share it. Gladwell explains that mavens are the people who start “word-of-mouth epidemics” because of their knowledge, social skills, and ability to communicate.
- Salespeople: charismatic persuaders with powerful negotiation skills responsible for advertisements and marketing through which they strive to convince others of “needs” (which may or may not exist). They are masters of “The Stickiness Factor,” and know how to make ideas and products simpler and more attractive. Notably, Salesmen are often paid for their skill, while Mavens use their skills for the simple pleasure of sharing knowledge and and helping others
On Wednesday, March 1 from 6 to 9 pm at Dusty’s in Dubai you can discover if you are a Connector, Maven, or Salesperson at “My Friends Your Friends,” is a social gathering where everyone is connected through mutual friends.
- Anika Morjaria: online personality Literally Anika; content creator, brand ambassador and model.
- Arthy Baheerathan: founder of Arthyreally and Patches & Flash; photographer and digital content creator.
- Harshana De Silva: founder of Alliance Events, Dubai’s best kept secret for corporate events.
- Hunter Lee Soik: head of global community at Dubai Future Foundation; tech entrepreneur and futurist.
- Kanchan Kulkarni: founder and fashion designer at Kara, a home grown label making noise on catwalks globally.
- Lobito Brigante: DJ; organiser and curator of cultural events; party rocker and turntablist.
- Matthew A Gilbert: instructor at The American University In The Emirates; tech and marketing expert.
- Omar ‘Ot’ Tom: co-founder and co-host of The Dukkan Show; established Dubai’s number one podcast; MC and strategic planner.
- Raj Kotecha: founder of Creative Content Agency and My Friends Your Friends; co-founder of Vaynerworld; DJ.
- Richard Boullemier: news presenter at Arabian Radio Network; head of business development at First and Ten Productions.
- Ritesh Tilani: founder of Joi; active member Of Dubai’s entrepreneur and investor community.
- Saana Azzam: founder and CEO of Mena Speakers, responsible for bringing incredible speakers to Dubai.
- Shyam Savani: brand manager in lifestyle, fashion, and travel; Trendsetter of The Year, 2015
- Sonal Kotecha: interior designer at Pallavi Dean Interiors; Young Interior Designer of The Year, 2015.
- Who: Everyone
- What: My Friends Your Friends
- Where: Dusty’s in Dubai (DIFC)
- When: Wednesday, March 1 @ 6:00 to 9:00 PM
- Why: Networking and socializing