Posts from and about my travels on the road while driving to and from my various teaching assignments.
On September 8, 2014 I opened for Lady Gaga.
Well, not exactly: I landed in Dubai, UAE a few hours before Lady Gaga also arrived in Dubai for a concert at the Meydan Racecourse (on September 10).
In the 12 months since I have exponentially grown personally and developed professionally. While I had previously traveled internationally, my experience was limited mostly to short trips to a handful of countries.
Those early overseas trips certainly exposed me to a more global perspective, but living overseas has allowed me to experience a different mindset entirely. Embracing the unknown was challenging, but, ultimately, rewarding.
As a lifelong learner, living and working overseas has been especially refreshing and rewarding. What better way to continuously learn than by putting yourself in a totally foreign situation and challenging yourself to adapt?
To celebrate my first year as an expat, below I have shared one memory from each month — technically there are 13 memories, but consider the inclusion of September 2015 as one extra for good luck!
- September 2014: Began teaching undergraduate business courses at Jumeira University.
- October 2014: Celebrated Halloween by taking a dhow cruise on the Dubai Creek.
- November 2014: Visited to the 148th floor observation deck of the Burj Khalifa (555.7 meters high)!
- December 2014: Experienced my first desert safari on UAE National Day.
- January 2015: Drove to Abu Dhabi and experienced Ferrari World and the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
- February 2015: Traveled to nearby Oman for a short visit with friends.
- March 2015: Attended the First International Conference on Sports Management and Sports Law.
- April 2015: Visited Los Angeles and went to the Dodgers opening day game with my son.
- May 2015: Published my first book, “edX E-Learning Course Development” via Packt Publishing.
- June 2015: Supported the Commemorative Air Force’s restoration of C-47 “That’s All, Brother.”
- July 2015: Began teaching one part time marketing course at American University in the Emirates (AUE).
- August 2015: Drove to Al Ain, the second largest city in Abu Dhabi and the fourth largest city in UAE.
- September 2015: Began teaching marketing and management courses full-time at AUE.
The past 12 months have been a great adventure; I’m looking forward to the next 12 months… and beyond!