Matthew A. Gilbert, MBA is a teacher, researcher, and trainer with more than 25 years of experience writing, speaking, and consulting. Guided by the motto “learn continuously, live generatively” he develops courses for delivery in person, via blended learning, and online. Leveraging active learning strategies, he facilitates corporate training for entrepreneurs, Fortune 500 employee, and government officials. His research interests include blockchain, entrepreneurship, internet of things (IoT), sharing economy, and social media marketing. A lifelong learner, he is studying for a PhD in Business Administration with the Bryan School of Business and Economics at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro. When asked why teaching and research are his tenure he explains, “education empowers me to influence individuals and impact organizations while improving myself in the process.”
On May 30, 2015 I published my first book, “edX E-Learning Course Development,” a 300-page manual for university teachers and corporate trainers designing, developing, and deploying a MOOC course for the edX platform.
The book walks a reader through eight steps to create an edX course while teaching them about the tools and techniques they need to know as an edX instructor. The eight steps are presented in eight chapters, as follows:
- Getting Started: an overview of MOOCs and the history of edX.
- Planning the Curriculum:curriculum development.
- Producing Videos: video production best practices.
- Designing Exercises: options for exercises and assessments.
- Integrating the Curriculum: options for adding course materials.
- Administering Your Course: your course’s administrative options.
- Facilitating Your Course: your role as a facilitator of your edX course.
- Promoting Your Course: a strategy to market your course.
Reading edX E-Learning Course Development will teach you how to:
- Create engaging assessments and effective exercises that achieve your course’s learning objectives.
- Establish your edX course settings, view and modify course content, and import and export your course.
- Market your course to increase enrollment and create an enjoyable educational experience for your students.
- Navigate edX, sign up for Studio, and create your own edX course.
- Publish an announcement, attach a course syllabus, add instructional pages, and upload course handouts.
- Use video production best practices and convert your classroom lectures to instructional videos.
- “edX E-Learning Course Development” and the Business of Writing Books
- Meeting a Reader of My edX Book in Dubai
- My “edX”cellent Writing Adventure
- Presenting “EdX E-Learning Course Development”
- Recap: Presenting “EdX E-Learning Course Development”
- Unlocking Digital Potential with Kwn Education
I remain grateful for the opportunity to have written this book, especially knowing that it’s helped individuals and organizations learn. One unexpected benefit for which I am also thankful: according to my Google Scholar profile, the book has been cited 16 times in various academic publications!
Here’s to learning continuously and living generatively!